Friday 12 April 2013

Fruit Scones

I can't even remember the last time I made scones so I thought I'd give them another go. I've made chocolate and plain ones before but I thought I'd try fruit ones for a change!


I got the recipe from "1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats" again, but they make some really interesting suggestions as to what else you can put it. They suggest using 55g of mixed peel instead of raisins for citrus scones or even just making lemon scones by adding the zest of 1 lemon. The good thing with scones is that you can add whichever flavours you like to them as the base mix is quite plain!


You can enjoy them plain or with butter and jam like I did if you fancy!

Ingredients

55g butter, cubed
450g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
250ml milk
60g sultanas

Recipe

1) Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas mark 7 and grease a baking sheet.
2) Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
3) Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4) Stir in the sugar and raisins, then enough milk to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
5) Roll the dough onto a floured surface to around 1 cm thickness.
6) Cut out the scones with a 6cm cutter and place on the baking sheet.
7) Brush the scones with a little milk then bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden and risen.
8) Leave to cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment