Monday 1 April 2013

Christmas Cake [Archive]


image
I know Christmas is over and everyone has the post-Christmas blues, but everyone loves a good Christmas cake so I'm going to post the recipe for the one my grandad is famous for and that went down quite well this year when I made it! :) This post is late mainly due to the fact I gave a couple of these as presents and I didn't want to spoil the surprise!

You don't need to have alcohol in it if you don't want to and don't worry that the cake doesn't rise much! I also did mine about a month before Christmas and wrapped it in foil to keep it fresh but to allow the cake to mature a bit! Don't worry about it drying out, as long as you keep it covered and sealed it will be fine!

Ingredients:-

300g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds
200g butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs beaten with 125ml milk (or 1/2 and 1/2 milk and brandy)
200g currants
200g sultanas
200g raisins
100g halved glace cherries
100g mixed peel
1 tsp mixed spice

Recipe:-

1) Sieve together flour, spice and ground almonds.
2) Cream butter and sugar then stir in the flour mixture with eggs and milk a little at a time.
3) Add fruit and mix thoroughly.
4) Place mixture in a greased 23cm round tin and cover with greaseproof paper.
5) Bake in oven at 150C/Gas mark 2 for 4 and a half hours.

I decided not to put marzipan and icing on mine purely because I prefer it as it is and I know a lot of people like to have Christmas cake with a bit of cheese! 

No comments:

Post a Comment