Thursday 28 March 2013

Iced Cupcakes [Archive]

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes, but I doubled it as the other half wanted to make some as well :)

Ingredients

115g butter
115g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 medium eggs
140g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk (this wasn't in the original recipe but when I made the mix it seemed a bit dry so I added it extra. It made the cakes really soft and moist!)
For the icing:-
225g icing sugar
3-4 tbsp water
Few drops of food colouring

Recipe

1) Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together until it is soft and fluffy.
3) Add the eggs a little at a time with a tbsp of flour and whisk.
4) Add the vanilla essence and the milk, if needed, and mix thoroughly.
5) Fill each cupcake case between 1/2 to 3/4 full.
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes. You can tell when they are done if they are golden on the top and when you press down lightly on the top they bounce back up.

To make the icing, gradually add the water to the icing sugar with the food colouring. If you want a dark colour add around 5 or so drops; for the yellow colour I had to add quite a few drops as it was fluorescent before! You need to make sure the icing is quite thick to prevent it from running down the cupcakes.

Then decorate with whatever you fancy! One of my friends bought me some lovely decorating ingredients for my birthday so I used orange drops, small silver balls and then the classic hundreds and thousands!
Here's how mine turned out:-

image

As you can see, some of them did turn out a little bit runny! But I loved the snowflake one so I thought I'd give you a close up to show how I did it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment